Lots of words, that's what happens.
On the fourteenth of January I set a goal to write thirty thousand words in a month. This was really, truly a bad time of year to take on this challenge. My taxes are due, it's busy at work and I'm still recovering from the holidaze. So why did I put myself through this torture?
I want another book published this year. I've got one coming out soon, one almost under contract *crosses fingers and toes* but that's it. If I want more, I have to get writing. Fast. I was spoiled last year writing a series. Things at my publisher moved along quickly and the books were put out close to each other. Come 2014, however, I don't have much cookin'. So, I decided to see if I could do it. Really push myself and get a book written in a short time.
Yes! I did! In one month I wrote 39,266 words. This is while working, promoting my upcoming book, doing aforementioned taxes, keeping the house from becoming too incredibly dirty and cooking four meals a week. (I like to eat out, but it's not the healthiest or most economical option.) The result of this marathon is:
1. My house is messier than I'm comfortable with (not filthy dirty, just piles of crapola that need to be put away) and I'm comfortable with a lot of clutter so yeah, it's scary.
2. I didn't watch a lot of television (Good thing)
3. I didn't get to spend that much time on Facebook, which is kind of good, kind of bad. I miss my FB habit but realize I can cut back.
4. I skipped my once a month pancake brunch with a girlfriend and my wine down a little outing with another.
5. Cuddle time in bed got cut, which goes along with less television. The cat and the honey get cranky when they don't get petted enough.
6. The real biggie, I didn't exercise nearly enough. I can sure feel that! I'm sore, stiff, and have a few extra pounds that need to disappear. Like now.
7. My goal to make at least two green drinks a week fell by the wayside. I got an easy-to-operate Vitamix just for this very reason and it sits unused and neglected.
So, was it worth all these sacrifices to crank out that many words? No. I enjoy everything on that list (except actually cleaning but I do like my house tidy) and I'm not prepared to give up those pleasures. I also like to write and want to have books published, but I need to find a balance.
Writing is important. Living is important too.
This site contains adult content. Please do not continue if you are not 18 or older.
Now at Amazon and your favorite e-book seller
Psst, Chrome users, you may need to do a little tweeking to get the RSS feed to work. Great YouTube short video here. http://bit.ly/1D9Deu5
To have my blog delivered to you automatically, please enter your email below.
I would love to hear from you! Drop me a line at naomibellina AT live.com